Summary List Placement
- The Canadian women’s soccer team narrowly avoided a loss in the opening round of the Tokyo Olympics thanks to the heroics of goalkeeper Stephanie Labbé.
- The 34-year-old star went down with an injury after sliding into Japan’s Mina Tanaka on a breakaway into the 18-yard box.
- Upon video review, officials gave the host nation a penalty kick in response to Labbé’s fairly blatant foul.
- Despite being down on the turf for several minutes and crying in pain, Labbé stayed in the game and managed to save Tanaka’s penalty shot to maintain Canada’s lead.
- Though Labbé later exited the game and Japan found the back of the net for the equalizer, her heroics allowed Canada to share the points and stay afloat in the tournament.
- Check out the highlights below:
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.