Athletic achievement takes many forms. From grand slam home runs and beautiful goals to speed records and feat of great strength, these incredible feats are inspiring to witness. Whether it’s a local amateur athlete or a professional powerhouse, witnessing a mind-blowing sporting event will always be an exciting and memorable experience.
Table of Contents
- 1. Amazing Sports Records Broken
- 2. Awe-Inspiring Athletic Performances
- 3. Athletic Achievers Who Changed the Game
- 4. Striving for Athletic Greatness
1. Amazing Sports Records Broken
It’s amazing how human athletes are able to push boundaries and break records in sports today. In recent years there have been some truly mind-boggling feats achieved, showing there is still room for us to get better. Here are some of the most impressive records broken in recent times:
- Longest field goal kick – In 2018, Houston Texans’ kicker, Ka’imi Fairbairn, blew away the previous record with his successful field goal kick of 70 yards. This was a remarkable achievement, as the sport’s all-time longest field goal kick record had previously been 64 yards.
- Highest vertical jump - In 2010, the jump record was smashed by NBA star Justin Melton who achieved a remarkable 49-inch vertical jump. This was a ground-breaking feat that hasn’t been matched yet.
- Most consecutive World Cup downhill skiing wins – The all-time record belongs to Austrian ski racer, Hermann Maier, who dominated the 1999-2000 season. His remarkable streak of seven consecutive downhill skiing World Cups victories took the world by storm.
- Longest drive in golf – In 2020, British athlete Tom Glover set the record for the longest drive in golf with an incredible 563-yard shot. Amazingly, the ball only rolled for the last 514-yards, as the first 49-yards were due to a massive hit from Glover.
In all sports, records will continue to be broken. It’s remarkable to think of the achievements already made and more are yet to come. As long as athletes keep pushing themselves, new milestones will continue to emerge, providing even more spectacular feats for us to marvel at.
2. Awe-Inspiring Athletic Performances
The world of sports has seen it’s share of awe-inspiring performances. These feats of prowess serve to remind us that the greatest possible heights can be reached with dedication and careful practice. More than that, these acts of courage, agility, precision and strength can inspire us to push our own boundaries and reach new summits of our own. Here are three such inspiring stories.
- Jesse Owens. Owens’ legendary affair with the 1936 Olympics in Berlin remains one of the most of all time. Defying the dominant ideals of the Nazi regime and the German crowd itself, Owens took four gold medals in a matter of minutes, becoming the first American to break the alleged boundary of the Nazi’s racial superiority and taking his place in history.
- Roger Bannister. On May 6, 1954, British runner Roger Bannister broke through the figurative wall of human capability with his hurdling of the four minute mark in the mile race. His time of 3:59.4 will forever remain etched in history as the standard to which all other contenders are tried and measured against.
- Usain Bolt. Topping off this inspiring list is Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter who made headlines by becoming the fastest man in the world. With a personal best of 9.58 seconds in the 100-meter dash and 19.19 seconds in the 200-meter dash, Usain Bolt continues to propel the boundaries of athletic ability ever further.
These spectacular stories can set our objectives, show us what can be done and even gets us to push ourselves further. As athletics continue to progress and evolve, there will always be events like these to inspire us and reinvigorate the spirit within.
3. Athletic Achievers Who Changed the Game
A great athlete is able to inspire others and break the boundaries of convention to change the game and come out victorious. From being the first to break a long standing record to setting a new trend of athleticism, the achievements of some of these athletes will go down in history.
- Emmitt Smith, the former Dallas Cowboys running back is one such athlete that raised the bar for American football. He is the league’s all-time leading rusher with 18,355 yards and won the Super Bowl a record three times. He is also the only running back to ever win the MVP title and has inspired countless kids to dream and reach for greatness.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee has changed the essence of Olympic track and field, breaking records at will. She is a six-time Olympic gold medalist in the heptathlon and long jump. She was the first women to earn over 7,000 points in the heptathlon and broke three world records, two for the heptathlon and one for the long jump, throughout her career.
- Tiger Woods is possibly the greatest golfer of all time and is credited with transforming the game with his skill and drive. He is the youngest major championship winner and has won a total of 15 major golf championships. He led the way for other black players to take up the sport and break racial boundaries.
One common trait between all these incredible athletes is their thirst for innovation and their determination to shine in their respective sports. They have pushed the limit of what was possible and influenced the next generation of athletes. They also ignited a zeal among fans to see them at their best, and it succeeded in deepening the fan base for their respective sports.
4. Striving for Athletic Greatness
The fourth step to achieving your ultimate goal of becoming an athletic great is focusing on your technique. Even in a sport that requires brute strength and endurance, technique still matters. When you’re able to master certain techniques, you can maximize the efficiency of your movements and also minimize the risk of injury.
Developing technique gives you the advantage of being able to visualize your opponent’s movements and react accordingly. An understanding of the opponent’s habits and mindset can provide you with a competitive edge over the other athletes. It will also put you in the best position to make the most of your physical gifts. Paying attention to technique will help you become the best athlete you can be.
Here are some tips to get you started on the path to greatness:
- Focus on mastering basic techniques.
- Analyze your opponent’s movements and react accordingly.
- Watch videos of other athletes to perfect your form and refine your strategy.
- Stay motivated by setting short-term and long-term goals.
Having strong technique is an invaluable tool that can help you reach the highest level of your sport. You want to focus on mastering the fundamentals before progressing to more complex techniques. This will enable you to master your craft and become a better all-around athlete.
With the incredible athletes and unforgettable games that the sporting world has bestowed upon us, it’s no wonder why people around the world are in awe of athletic achievement. Whether it’s a rare feat of strength on a basketball court or a world-record-breaking jump at a track and field meet, the physical prowess of these athletes is truly a remarkable sight to behold.